Howdy folks. It has been a busy week traveling across Texas from Houston to Greenville to Lago Vista to Stephenville to Clifton. I have not been able to sit and share thoughts, perspectives, and insights with y’all, and for that, I offer my apologies. But, as we end this week, the train slowed down just enough for me to gather my senses and share an item of critical importance with ya.
It was not too long ago that former Chicago Mayor and Obama Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, made his infamous quote, “never let a good crisis go to waste.” There’s not a single person unconcerned about the Wuhan Coronavirus. Yes, I guess saying that makes me a doggone “racist.”
President Trump immediately took action banning travel, and COVID-19 has sadly cost America 40 lives as of this missive.
It appears that, once again, we are witnessing the hypocrisy of the progressive socialist left. If there is one thing that I despise, it is situational, political, ethics. Yes, during the H1N1 scare of the Obama administration, there were no massive cancellations of sporting events . . . Dang it, what is ESPN gonna do? Just gotta tell y’all, I am an unhappy camper: no March Madness!!! Well, you can be guaranteed, every single moment that I can, it will be spent at the Lake Highlands Shooting Center to remedy my depression.An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject. Click To Tweet
But, it appears that there is a leftist elected official who is taking, no exploiting, this crisis as an opportunity to do what I truly fear the most.
As reported by Townhall:
“The mayor of Champaign, Illinois has declared a town emergency over the Wuhan coronavirus that includes a potential ban on the sale of firearms and ammunition. According to a local report from WAND 17, Champaign Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen has issued an executive order that would give her office “extraordinary powers.” She has issued the order despite the town and surrounding area not having a single case of the disease.
Here is the list of other items from the declaration/executive order, which also includes the ability to ban the sale of “food, water, fuel, clothing, and/or other commodities, materials, goods, services and resources,” in addition to alcohol and gasoline. Additionally, government agents or officials have the ability to seize private property and to cut off the city water supply. The mayor justifies everything “in the interest of public safety and wolf.”
Here are the most disturbing parts of this declaration of a town emergency:
(4) Order the discontinuance of the sale of alcoholic liquor by any wholesaler or retailer;
(5) Order the discontinuance of selling, distributing, or giving away gasoline or other liquid flammable or combustible products in any container other than a gasoline tank properly affixed to a motor vehicle;
(6) Order the discontinuance of selling, distributing, dispensing or giving away of explosives or explosive agents, firearms or ammunition of any character whatsoever;
(7) Order the control, restriction and regulation within the City by rationing, issuing quotas, fixing or freezing prices, allocating the use, sale or distribution of food, fuel, clothing and other commodities, materials, goods or services or the necessities of life;
(8) (a) Order City employees or agents, on behalf of the City, to take possession of any real or personal property of any person, or to acquire full title or such lesser interest as may be necessary to deal with a disaster or emergency, and to take possession of and for a limited time, occupy and use any real estate to accomplish alleviation of the disaster, or the effects thereof;
(16) Suspend or limit the use of water resources or other infrastructure.
(17) Control, restrict, allocate, or regulate the use, sale, production, or distribution of food, water, fuel, clothing, and/or other commodities, materials, goods, services and resources.
(26) Require the continuation, termination, disconnection, or suspension of natural gas, electrical power, water, sewer, communication or other public utilities or infrastructure.When we are driven into a sense of panic, paranoia, hysteria, and abject fear, it is, and always has been, an opportunity for the government to exploit individual rights, freedoms, and liberties. Click To Tweet
I am trying to understand why these totalitarian mandates are being instituted in a town in Illinois that has not had one case of COVID-19 reported? Here is my issue: when we are driven into a sense of panic, paranoia, hysteria, and abject fear, it is, and always has been, an opportunity for the government to exploit individual rights, freedoms, and liberties. As a matter of fact, it was the very astute Benjamin Franklin who asserted, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
I recall during Hurricane Katrina when local officials decided that law-abiding, legal gun owners had to have their weapons confiscated . . . meaning they were made to be victims for the violent and criminal elements that did not. No one wants to succumb to these crises, whether natural disasters or viruses. But, the last thing we need is for the government to see these incidents as a vehicle of exploitation to limit our individual liberties, freedoms, and rights. As well, what is even worse is when we become so fearful that we will voluntarily become “sheeple” believing that it is in our “best interest.”No one wants to succumb to these crises, whether natural disasters or viruses. The last thing we need is for the government to see these incidents as a vehicle of exploitation to limit our individual liberties, freedoms, and rights. Click To Tweet
This past week, here in Texas, we saw the Mayor of Houston, Sylvester Turner, unilaterally declare a state of emergency and shut down the Houston rodeo, an eighty-year tradition. Late Thursday evening, the Mayor of Dallas followed suit, declaring a state of emergency. Yes, I am a little hurt that I will not be watching one of our great traditions in America, the NCAA college basketball tournament. Yes, I comprehend the sense of urgency, but the games could be played and telecast, and we can have March Madness watch parties in our homes . . . not too many folks, lots of handwashing. In the end, we will get by without the NCAA basketball tournament, NHL. NBA, the Masters’ Golf tournament, and MLB Spring training.
But what we must never surrender are our rights, liberties, and freedoms, as once usurped, they are difficult to recover. Especially, the essential liberty, right, to defend ourselves . . . As the saying goes, “you can vote your way into socialism, but you must shoot your way out of it.” That is exactly why every socialist leader, dictator, despot, authoritarian always undermines and eliminates the right of the people to be armed, to defend themselves.As the saying goes, 'you can vote your way into socialism, but you must shoot your way out of it.' That is exactly why every socialist leader, dictator, despot, authoritarian always eliminates the right of the people to be armed. Click To Tweet
As I stated back in 2012 at Friends of the NRA dinner in West Palm Beach Florida, “An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject.”
It would appear that Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen of Champagne Illinois wants subjects . . . not citizens.
[To ensure you never miss an article, please sign up to be notified when a new column is posted! It’s free and you may opt-out at any time.]
LTC West is running for Chair of the Republican Party of Texas! To support his efforts, please visit his campaign website!
Political advertisements paid for by LTC Allen West for State Chairman
During his 22 year career in the United States Army, Lieutenant Colonel West served in several combat zones and received many honors including a Bronze Star, three Meritorious Service Medals, three Army Commendation Medals, one with Valor device, and a Valorous Unit Award.
In November of 2010, Allen was elected to the United States Congress, representing Florida’s 22nd District. In July of 2020, Mr. West was elected Chair of the Republican Party of Texas.
West is a commissioned officer in the Texas State Guard. He’s a Newsmax Contributor, former Director of the Booker T. Washington Initiative at the Texas Public Policy Foundation, Senior Fellow at the Media Research Center, and author of Guardian of the Republic: An American Ronin’s Journey to Family, Faith and Freedom, Hold Texas, Hold the Nation: Victory or Death, and We Can Overcome: An American Black Conservative Manifesto.